SKU: P. 660
DIMENSIONS: Image H :16" x 27", Framed H: 21.5" x 32.5"
German-American, 20th c.
Max Kuehne was known for his multiple talents; an accomplished painter, craftsperson and graphic artist. Born in Halle, Essen, Germany in 1880 he came to the United States with his family in 1894, settling in Flushing, NY.
He studied with Wm. Merritt Chase, Kenneth Hayes Miller and with Robert Henri. After studying in New York City, Kuehne traveled throughout Europe, supporting himself by portrait painting. Returning to New York City, he became friends with Edward Hopper, William Glackens, Charles Prendergast and collector Albert Barnes. Kuehne was primarily a landscape painter, although he did paint many still lifes. He continued to travel throughout his life, living in Spain from 1914-17, and later spending his summers in Rockport and Gloucester, MA. During the Depression he supported himself in addition to his painting, by making very distinctive inscribed and gilded furniture, decorative screens and sculpture, all of which with his paintings are equally sought after today.
Member of the Society of American Graphic Artists, the Philadelphia SE, Rockport Art Association. Multiple exhibitions at the Corcoran Gallery Biennials, 1912-37; Salon of Independent Artists, 1917; Whitney Museum of American Art, 1918-41, Art Institute of Chicago International Exhibition; Carnegie Institute, 1926,(prize); Philadelphia Academy of Fine Art Annual, 1930-1935.
His works are in the permanent collection at the Barnes Foundation, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts; Whitney Museum of American Art; New York Public Library; Los Angeles County Museum of Art; Detroit Institute of Art; Metropolitan Museum of Art; Library of Congress; Victoria & Albert Museum.
Please email us for more information on this item